What you need to know about Domestic Conversions

Domestic Conversions


First, what is a conversion?


We're looking for one of the following:


· Where a building is to be used as a dwelling, where it previously wasn't, OR


· The building contains a flat where previously it didn't, OR


· The building, which contains at least one dwelling contains a greater or lesser number of dwellings than it previously did.


Generally speaking the government's intention is to improve the energy efficiency of buildings. Thus we're looking to provide a suitably efficient heating system and associated controls, dedicated low energy light fittings and up-grading the thermal insulation of the floors,walls and roofs and up-grading doors, windows and rooflights which have poor thermal performance. In addition there is a requirement limiting the area of external openings unless adequate compensatory measures are taken.


There are some potential exemptions from complying with the regulations, such as carrying out works on a building of special historical or architectural value, or where the heat loss through existing parts of the construction doesn't exceed certain levels. In terms of the U values (heat losses) of the various elements of construction, the requirements are generally less onerous than those necessary in practice for new build. However, there is currently no requirement for post construction air permeability tests as there is for new build, although both new build and conversions require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to be produced.


Approved Document L1 B (2010 Edition) as revised in 2013 gives a fuller picture of the technical requirements. If you want to discuss your proposals, please either give us a ring or send us an e mail.